Jimmy H – One Pec

July 11th, 2014

First up for our new written pieces is Crew Member Jimmy Hibbard, here is part one to his first written piece for us here at Wofte Clothing… Enjoy!

At the Beginning of April saw me join a new water with a few fish in it that I’ve wanted in my album for some time. A plus side is that it’s only ten minutes from work meaning I could fit in a few more quick overnighters. The lake is 18 acres and full to the brim with weed…lovely. So, without any second thoughts, I began my spring campaign on the opening night of the ticket – the 1st of April. All excitable and raring to go, I arrived down the lake after work. This gave me an hour or so to find a few fish and get the rods out before sunset. Try as I might, I struggled to see anything. Consequently, I dropped in a swim I’ve been told a few regularly get caught from. I got the rods out on some clear areas, which proved harder than anticipated as the lakes mega weedy and clear areas are hard to come by. Come dark, I was settled for the night, with eyes fixed on the water hoping one would poke its head out. Sadly, it was a quiet night and the morning soon came round with the 5am alarm ringing in my ears. I watched the water, fixated on the place before me. I had just enough time to make a brew and begin the arduous task of packing up for work.

The next five overnighters where tough going, the lake was getting a lot of pressure and the fish weren’t playing ball. What I needed was to sit back and think about a plan of attack. So, without a further ado, I started to choose areas around the lake, have a good lead about, and find a few secret spots. I wasn’t going to look for the real clear areas as I was targeting the silty spots with freshly growing weed on them. I decided to stay away from the clear areas – as the fish got hammered off them and I thought that they had soon wised up to them, associating them with danger. I wanted to be a bit different and set aside from the normal tactics. I found these by firstly casting a bare lead into areas looking for the softer drops when feeling the lead down. However, I still wanted a slight thud as it hit the bottom and the odd bit of silk weed on the lead after retrieval. Finding a few spots saw the start of me baiting them religiously and ‘priming’ those areas. The next time I was down the lake, I only had a few hours to play. The Mrs wanted me home that night and so when I got down the lake, I immediately jumped in one of the swims I’d been baiting. The spot itself had a large weed bed close to it.

The rig I had chosen to use was a stiff hinge rig on a lead clip set-up. I chose this so I could drop the lead on the take. By doing that, it would eliminate any weed problems on the line whilst playing a fish. Instead of using a stiff boom section on the hinge rig, I replaced it with 30lb N-Trap as this enables the rig to take the contours of the bottom better. I also balanced the pop up so it sank slowly to let it settle on top of any stray weed strands still present after my baiting ,and then to finish the rig off  a god man pva versacast tube to keep it from tangling on the cast . I soon had the rods out and it wasn’t long until the left hand rod was away. After a short battle, I slipped my first carp from the lake, into the net. A stunning 21lb fully scaled was my prize; one of just many carp the lake contained. It was a gorgeous fish for first blood. On the following overnighter, I managed 6 fish. I fished another area that I had been baiting.

The bites came more or less instantly as when I arrived in the swim, the fish were very active. Out of the 6, I ended up landing two target fish both 25lb+, one known as the Double Row Linear and the other was one of the three original commons. This was then followed with four stunning upper doubles. Finally, things where falling into place nicely. I knew the big ’un was due out soon and it regularly comes from one certain area of the lake. Naturally, I decided to start baiting that area over the next few days. A full moon was due and also to coincide with a band of low pressure coming in. It couldn’t have been more carpy, and I was dying to get down there. I planned my trip to fit in with the full moon and forecast low pressure band. After work, I rushed down the lake, and to my surprise, there was no one else there. Needless to say, I headed straight to the swim I so badly wanted to be in. The rods went out without fault. This was then followed with 2kg of boilie over the area, luckily managing to do this before the heavens opened. Later that evening, I was on the phone to a friend. The conversation soon came up about ‘One Pec’ – the biggie. We were just talking about it when all of a sudden, the left hand rod let out a single bleep, soon followed by another. As I put the phone down, it bleeped a couple more times. At that point, I picked the rod up and I leant into something solid. It plodded out in the lake, up and down the reed line on the far side.

The wind and rain was awful and blowing straight into my face. I began gradually gaining line and it was soon out in front me, just a rod length away from the net. One last bid for freedom exhausted the fish fully. First time attempt, the fish was securely in the bottom of my net – well and truly mine! Before even looking into the net, I already knew it was One Pec. But peering into it, confirmed all. Chuffed to bits, I made a few phone calls to try and get someone to come help me and take some photos. Sadly, no one was about. Up it went on the scales, 33lb on the button. I was ecstatic. My target fish ticked off the list, albeit a little down in weight. Of course, it wasn’t the best of weather for the photos, but I still got a couple of self-take and slipped it back with a get big smile on my face. My overnight sessions still continued. Not to mention, so did the success, landing up to sixteen fish in the month of May. I was well and truly worn out from that but I am carrying on as I have 4 more target fish to go. Fingers crossed, it won’t be long but I would have to wait until after they had spawned …

Jimmy Hibbard.


December 9th, 2013

Visit the shop now to view our new items!


A/W.13 DROPS MON 09/12

December 8th, 2013

Yep, that’s right. All the new products from our A/W.13 range go live to purchase Monday 09/12/13!
We estimate that we are going to be quite busy so please bare with us if the site is slow.

Tri – A numerical prefix meaning three.

December 3rd, 2013

Both Max and myself were really buzzing for this session, a 48 hour on the back pit. It was end of May time and the water had finally warmed up, really turning the fish on to feed after such a long, prolonged, cold winter. Max and myself both set our targets for the year. Mine a fish known as lumpy a gorgeous brute of a mirror that goes just under the 30lb Barrier. Max’s a fish known as tri scale and again another chunk that goes over 30lb. With our confidence high from previous sessions we wasted no time in getting down. We turned up and had a good look around the back pit with eyes glued to the water analysing any movement. Our friend Connor was also down and was set up in a swim know as Lumpys. With Max making his decision to go in a swim called Platto. Which was to the right of Connor. I took one last look at the far bay with max who did urge me to go for it as the wind was sweeping in nicely.

I opted for the chod rig fishing at a range of 30 yards tight to over hanging features on the far bank, knowing the chod with nestle over any debris on the bottom giving me maximum presentation. With both rods on the dance floor with white northern special pop-ups on each rod over a good kilo of cell. I sat in the bivvy watching the sun go down after a very warm day, hoping that I was in for bite. I hit the bag and started cracking on with Kevin Nash’s demon eye, what a read I have to say! Eventually I got my head down but wasn’t easy sleeping listening to fish constantly crashing all over the lake. It was a quite night with no action. The sun was starting the rise and I was beginning to think it was not going to happen, typical!

But.. Out the blue the right hand rod ripped off with arguably the best sound a carp fisherman can hear, a delkim in full voice! I scrambled out the bivvy, reached for the rod and straight away the immense power I received was unbelievable with a very angry carp charging for the deep water and even worse a very large weed bed! Stopping this fish was inevitable as It kept going and going, eventually she slowed up, I tweaked the clutch and and starting gaining line. It was slow progress but each turn I was on the reel was a win! With the fish plodding right to left you really could feel the weight on the end, by this time my legs where like jelly knowing that I was attached to a decent fish!

A big grey mirror finally broke the surface about 10 yards in front of me, my jaw dropped, heart in my mouth as I slid the net under quite simply the biggest fish that was about the grace the my net. And she was in safe and sound I threw the rod down and peered into my net. Wait no surely not. I turned the fish on to its side and there was the 3 scales, it was only tri scale again, Max’s target. Staring in disbelief, it was a unit! I safely got her onto the mat, the sun was just coming up at a guess it would of been around 6:30. Nailed an inch back in the bottom lip really couldn’t of asked for a better hook hold! I gently lifted her into the retainer sling and let her recover In the water. Now it was time to go wake Connor and Max, oh no.

I slipped my shoes on not putting my heels in properly and set off to Connor who was about 40 odd yards away from my swim, I stumbled over to Connors swim and making enough noise skidding all over the place. I peaked into his bivvy and said “Connor you fag get up, just had Tri Scale again!” He turned over and and replied, no way! He got himself up and we both made our way to Max’s swim which was about 80 yards away from mine, again I peeked into his brolly and said “I’ve just had Tri Scale” he turned over and looked me in which can only be describes as a grumpy way. Can hardly blame him being woken up to someone saying they have just caught your target.

But being the good sport Max is he got up and we got Tri Scale out for weighing, she went 32.4oz in the end , chuffed was an understatement. Max and Connor also took some brilliant shots, proper trophy shots. Releasing her into the depths and watching her swim away for me is one of the best bits in carp fishing. Also went on the catch a stunning 22lbs common the next day to top off a brilliant session.


Coots And Big Commons

November 23rd, 2013

On this particular session i managed to get a later shift at work which allowed me to do a quick overnighter, now being late summer/early autumn, I was able to turn up around 6-7 o’clock, with enough time to prepare my traps in daylight. After meeting Tosh on arrival we both headed off in search of any showing fish and feeding activity.

This particular water is renowned to be a tricky one, and time, effort and perseverance is key. The majority of the Carp in the 2.5acre pit are old, dark warriors, some in both pits being 40-45+years old! I had yet to catch one of the two A-Team, A Mirror known as Scatter and The Big Common. Both these fish used to be 35lb+, but after the last harsh winter and lack of feeding, the fish lost weight dramatically, going way under 30lb, but are now feeding better and climbing back up slowly. Anyway, back to this session.

I had a swim in mind as I arrived, it was a corner on one side of the pit, with reeds and pads in the far margin, but there were no obvious signs of fish, so both me and Tosh carried on walking until we ended up on the other side of the pit which is the shallower end being 2ft in places. In the particular swim we were standing in, there are three sets of pads , and reeds to my right, and after 5 minutes standing there, in-between the first 2 sets of pads, a big, long fish rolled over and broke the surface. I looked at Tosh who was already looking at me nodding his head, and I knew he agreed with my mind that this was the swim for tonight.

I ran to the car and in the process getting back down to the swim with all the gear, another fish rolled to my right hand margin. By now I was itching to get the rods out, so I quickly tied up a hinge stiff rig accompanied by a 12mm white NS1 pop up, and flicked it to the left of the pads. I left it there for 10 minutes until I put out a couple of handfuls of Live System chops over the top. I then set up the right hand rod, and because I opted to flick it out only a rod length to my right hand margin, I really focused on the camouflage of the setup , by testing the leaders and lead clips in the margin until I found the best one. The rig that followed is one that I’ve kept secret to myself, to try and get the best out of it, but a critically balanced bait is used. I flicked it out and Boilie chops followed. Tosh had to unfortunately leave at this point, as he had work early the following morning, so I put the brolly up, put the kettle on, and made myself a brew while watching the lake darken.

Nothing much happened until around 10pm when, because fishing in shallow water, the coots where diving and picking up my right hand rod constantly! I must of shooed them away 50 times an hour! At 11pm they finally left my baits alone and I recast my right rod to put a fresh hook bait on and freebies followed. I had another quick cuppa, and then hit the sack.

6am I was awoken to my right rod bleeping away and as it stopped, I turned to see that the coots were back again. They are such a nuisance! Now I’m not going to lie, I just turned my head and went back to sleep, as I had work later on and felt that with the coots there, that was it.. But it wasn’t.

Delkim owners will know what I mean when I say it’s such a great buzz when the bite alarm goes into it’s 2nd tone and doesn’t stop! Well at 8am my right rod signalled a very powerful take, I jumped out of my brolly to see that the rod was bending double, as the clutch was set fairly tight. I lifted into the fish, which had reached the 2nd set of pads. I kept steady pressure, trying to retrieve an inch of line at a time to avoid it getting in there for good. I managed to steer it clear of the pads, and it kited left just under the surface, which gave me a first glimpse to what was hanging on the other end! A GOODEN!

I took my crocs and socks off (yes, crocs and socks) and pulled the legs of my trackies up so I could wade out to get into prime netting position. While doing this, the fish suddenly shot off, shredding line off the spool. The power of this fish was spectacular! I eventually gained back yards of line until it was just in front of me, which then I reached out, grabbed and got the net prime and ready. The fish plodded and plunged around with its weight and length in front of the net cord, so I let the rod do all the work until a decent Common rose and hit the surface.

I got the rod behind me and scooped the fish in the net with relief. What a battle! I cut the rig, and put a fresh one out, zeroed the sling and then slid her into the sling and hoisted her onto my new and now christened Trakker Sanctuary mat. I instantly noticed that the rig worked well as the hook hold was dead centre of the bottom lip. Absolutely nailed! I attached the sling to my Reaben Heatons, which read… What?… No!… My first UK 30 pounder at 30lb 4oz! It was The Big Common. I was ecstatic to say the least! I quickly got on the way with the filming for EssexAnglingTV and got some stills with my new personal best! It all paid off in the end, when I thought the birds ruined my chances. But catching one of the A-Team certainly put lots of confidence in my rig!
I got in the water to hold her until she was ready to go, and she sure was, slapping the water with her tail and giving me a farewell soaking. Happy Days!

Max Leggett

Best Seller! Vintage Hood.

November 23rd, 2013

Zipped Hood 3

Our “Vintage Zipped Hood” still proves ever popular with you guys! We’ve produced at least one of these every day since we launched them a few months back. It is a personal favourite of mine and I wouldn’t go fishing on a chilly evening session without one! An absolute bargain at £24.99 quality assured, awesome fit and bank styling. Don’t get mugged off by imitations. 

Buy Wofte, Buy quality. Originality.


Jack Frost, and a twenty+ common.

November 23rd, 2013

There was a touch of Jack Frost when crew member Andrew Grenfell landed this twenty plus common this week. This was the best of a three fish capture from a local club water on his ever faith full DT Bait Developments “Super Fruit” snow man presentation.

“Seconds after releasing the common the net was frozen solid to the mat”

Well in Andrew, stunning common!
For DT Baits visit: http://www.dtbait.com/


Day Carping Success for Jake…

November 21st, 2013


Crew member Jake Kelly seen here with a stunning 21.10lb mirror carp from an Essex day ticket lake. The lake had not produced a carp in seven consecutive days before Jake rocked up and bagged this Autumn beauty. Nice result Jake from all the team at Wofte Clothing Ltd.


Cross Carp Diaries Part 2, Tristan Peel.

September 23rd, 2013
Here we go again…..after 2 hard weeks of work it was time to get back down the pond. My alarm initially went off at 5 am and in a dazed state I remember turning it to snooze when I shot up at 8 F**K! I jumped into the car and after a quick stop off at Tescos (Other supermarkets are available)  I was on the way to the lake and on arrival it looked the bollocks. A strong south westerly was blowing into the high bank and the anglers that were on were all positioned on the back of it (Pussy oles’).

“After about 45 mins my middle rod in the deeps tore off “

After a quick lap round and a cuppa I went straight to the car and loaded up the barrow. As I was walking to the swim I could see fish topping on the edge of the wind. I quickly tied up 3 fresh hook links and flicked them out just off the edge of the shelf, one in about eight feet of water, one in twelve and one in the deeps (eighteen feet).  All were baited with 3 hand full’s of Mainline new grange scattered over the top (Three for a 30!). After about 45 mins my middle rod in the deeps tore off resulting in a small pretty mirror which gave me confidence in the area and also saves a blank!

I was drinking coffee like it was on tap for around two hours whilst looking out over Cross and messing about with my new toys. I had recently purchased a set of new Delkim TXI’s and whilst sipping on a brew I was getting used to their settings. Not aware what I had done the receiver suddenly started to fearlessly vibrate in my hands? Puzzled… What an earth was going on? I switched the volume up to be met with what was only to be described as a tearing take in my hands. As a natural instinct, one that comes to all of us as carp anglers, I leaped up to my rods which were slightly out of view to be greeted with the right hand rod bending round and the clutch spinning out of control.

“I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a long dark common

This time it was the bait positioned in eight feet of water and carried on absolutely tearing! SAVAGE! After the initial madness it became a long and steady fight. I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a long dark common and knew straight away it was a fish called sprinter (A target of mine)! and one of the a-team from the Cross. She weighed in at 31.8Lb. What a buzz after the birthday session weeks before.

Cross Carp Diaries, Tristan Peel.

June 26th, 2013

It was the Sunday before my twenty first birthday and I was nursing a nasty hangover but in the back of my mind I just wanted to be up the pond. So after a bit of sweet talking the missus I was in the car and on the way there buzzing with excitement. By the time I arrived it was roughly eight in the evening and the light was beginning to fade. All three rods were on the spots first time and it wasn’t long before the left hand Delkim was rattling off and I was into my first carp. After a short fight I was rewarded with a stunning 20.2lb mirror carp! (Below) I was chuffed to say the least as it was such a stunning creature. Snaps were done and I slipped her back to fight another day making me a happy chappy.

By the time I deployed to rig back out onto the spot it was pitch black and approaching ten O clock. I had sat back down watching over the spots whilst shlurping away few cups off tea and knocked up a bacon sandwich then hit the sack. Soon after I nodded off I was woken up at bang on twelve not by a carp but for a birthday bear hug by my good pal Dan Bacon. We sat up and got the kettle rattling for a birthday brew and chatted about recent captures including my earlier success.  The night went quickly and was soon woken up by a run at around three by an absolute belter! little did I know that on the other end was a carp named “Beaster” at 32.6lb (Below) it was a recapture but very welcome on my birthday.


I slipped her in the sack and sat with her until it was light enough at around half four and got some awesome early morning stills. Happy birthday! A few hours later the same rod was off again which resulted in a 15lb leather carp. After another hour and a few more cups of tea the same rod was off again. This time after a Long, slow fight my third fish was now in my net and as I peered through the mesh it revealed a large leather. There is only one big leather carp in this venue and straight away I knew it was a fish called “Matt’s mate”. A fish that I caught before at 29.10, and I dearly wanted to catch above 30lb. She tipped the scales at 31.6lb. (Below)

The rest of the morning proceeded to be quieter and was now around ten and time to pack up. What a birthday! All I wanted to do was to get back down there again, but that wasn’t for another two weeks yet and little did I know that I was in for another chunk of a carp!…….. To be continued


We Are Fearless. Watch Out For Them Eels™

Recent News


Social Media

Newsletter Sign Up

Copyright © 2014 Wofte Clothing Limited - All Rights Reserved. Registered Number 8068759.